The customer, one of the largest US supplemental insurance company listed in the Fortune 500 provides financial protection to more than 50 million people worldwide.
Key business objectives of the customer and the business needs addressed
- Extend business reach and provide excellent service to clients through investments in existing and new applications
- Digital and mobile innovations deployed to enhance client experience
- Improve process efficiencies and significantly reduce cost of running the legacy platform
The business needs arising out of the above objectives include efficient, reliable, and innovative services from a trusted partner. Coforge provided the same through an SLA based end-to-end quality assurance service and brought in automation at scale to reduce quality related costs.
Roles and team structure utilized
Coforge is the sole provider of comprehensive testing services to the customer for different lines of businesses (accident, cancer, disability, vision, dental, life, and hospital indemnity) and business processes (policy enrolment, new business, policy serving, billing and claims). The Coforge team set up a tiered governance model and team structure to carry out activities.
Functional and technical expertise provided
Coforge adopted a T-shaped model and identified QA resources that are skilled in tools and technologies, testing processes and methodologies, and had an in-depth knowledge of the insurance domain. Our comprehensive Enterprise Test Strategy based on the principles listed, helped in delivering high quality with speed:
- Automation First: Enhanced automation coverage across the SDLC based on ROI to realize faster time to market and better test coverage
- Risk-Based Testing: Implemented RBT to identify high priority defects early in test cycles and optimized overall effort
- Test Measurement and Metrics: Implemented industry best practices in measurement and metrics for better control, future planning, and estimations
- Quality Assurance: Implemented assurance activities based on ETVX model to ensure defects are contained and fixed in same phase
- Quality Gate: Implemented QG based approach to ensure the input quality of build in the QA environment to reduce rework effort
Description of the technical and architectural system
Testing activities were governed by Micro focus Test management tool ALM for better collaboration, transparency, repository, real-time test result reporting, and SLA dashboard. The testing team used the best tools in the industry for all testing requirements i.e. Test Management & Defect reporting – ALM, Functional Automation – UFT, Web Services – Soap UI, Performance Testing – LoadRunner \ Performance Centre
Description of Coforge’s role in the engagement
- Converted all testing engagements across the enterprise from T&M engagement to Managed Testing Services engagement
- Brought out special focus on automation and achieved 67% automated regression at an enterprise level
- Contributed to standardizing and implementing industry best practices following an agile delivery model that including DevOps (CI\CD)
- Used a KPI based three-tier integrated governance model
- Supported the technical innovation team in architecting the Enterprise Integration Bus framework for scalability and faster time to market
Description of the Methodologies used
The following testing methodologies were implemented for functional and non-functional testing requirements. The testing teams followed both agile and non-agile development methodologies.
- Customer Centric Testing: Focuses on real-time business scenarios based testing instead of product specific test cases to reduce the production defect leakage
- Lean Testing: Optimizes testing efforts and identifies high business priority defects early in the test cycle
- Shift-Left: Ensures that defects are contained and fixed in the origin phase to reduce quality assurance related costs
Description of the activities carried out
Coforge provided managed testing services that covers different business LOBs and processes. The teams worked in collaboration with different businesses, data and test environment teams, and third party dev partners to ensure seamless delivery in projects, executed in Waterfall and Agile models and BAU activities. Dedicated team performed in-sprint testing which included functional, regression and end-to-end testing. Shared team performed performance and other NFR testing, tools administration, test automation, and test data and test environment management.
Coforge also facilitated operational flexibility and agility to address any surge in testing demands and business requirements by utilizing cross-skilled resources and effective usage of onshore – offshore delivery model.
Description of mitigations implemented to avoid risk and overcome challenges
In order to help our customer deliver the best value to their clients, Coforge has implemented the following mitigation strategies to avoid risk and overcome any challenges due to industry dynamics, competitive pressures, and regulatory compliances. This has helped our customers to consistently deliver while maintaining stable and reliable systems:
- Effective knowledge management to efficiently upskill /cross skill resources
- Enhance automation across enterprise applications
- Ensure predictive outcomes by implementing metrics and measurement-based monitoring and controlling best practices